Friday, January 6, 2012

A Hop, Skip & a Genre Jump

As a speed reader, I voraciously devour books - which means I need LOTS of them.  It also developed in me a love of almost all books.  The only genre I don't enjoy are Westerns.  If a book is good, no matter the genre, it'll satisfy me.  I like to bop between historicals, contemporaries, paranormals, memoirs and mysteries.  The contrast keeps everything fresh.  However, many readers have a strong preference to a single genre - and I certainly wouldn't fault their loyalty.

So it was with great trepidation I embarked on a genre jump.  I write contemporary romance, verging on romantic comedy.  A dash of suspense thrown in to keep the plot moving, but firmly contemporary.  However.....my current work in progress is (gasp!) a paranormal.  It maintains the light, romantic comedy feel, but with ghosts and demons and fallen angels tossed into the mix.

I don't want to pull a Nora Roberts/JD Robb or Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle just to sell it.  Pen names aren't my thing (probably due to my complete lack of modesty).  What I would like is for my current readers to to make that hop, skip & a jump over to the paranormal side to read this one.  And, of course, to introduce lovers of the paranormal to my previous releases.  Am I asking too much?  Is the divide too great to cross?  Or is it possible that, as long as I write an entertaining book, it won't matter the genre?

No comments:

Post a Comment